Tuesday 7 August 2018

The Sweetness of Roses and Friendship

Hello friends,

My garden has given me some outstanding roses, and I've been reflecting on how friends are like roses - roses awaken our senses and nourish our spirits with their gorgeous scent and beautiful blooms, and friends bring special moments of connection with others that we can cherish.

'A single rose can be my garden... a single friend, my world.'

                                                                                        Leo Buscaglia


http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-sweetness-of-roses-and-friendship.html


Having close friends makes such a difference in our lives. There are some who are like our soulmates, people we may not see often, but when we get together we just pick up from where we left off, offering a warm connection, enjoying listening to each others' life stories, and a mutual affirmation of who we are and where we are in our journey. 

Whether or not you have a loving partner or family, friendships can offer a safe space for us to be ourselves, and the chance to reach out and grant that same gift to others.

'There is no friend like the old friend, who has shared our morning days... friendship is the breathing rose, with sweets in every fold.'
                                         
                                                                                 Oliver Wendall Holmes

Our long-time friends who have stood by us over years are like the best wine, laid up to mature. Sadly, we, or our friends, may move far away, making it hard to see each other, but just knowing they are there helps us to feel that we are not alone - just a note or a card or a phone call away...

The connections we can make online can also nurture us, and we can reach out to others to affirm them, too. We mustn't underestimate the power of our online comments - for positive or negative affect.

So thank you to those special people who have taken the time to read and respond with thoughtful and heartfelt comments - you have left a special gift at the bottom of so many of our posts, and helped make our day brighter, like the scent of a rose.

Here are a few of my favourite roses from last Spring...


Mother's Love (palest pink), John F Kennedy (cream) and First Love (pale pink)...


http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-sweetness-of-roses-and-friendship.html

Summer Memories (cream) and the full-scented William Morris...

http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-sweetness-of-roses-and-friendship.html

William Morris again...

http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-sweetness-of-roses-and-friendship.html

Climbing Cinderella...


http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-sweetness-of-roses-and-friendship.html

Champagner...

http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-sweetness-of-roses-and-friendship.html


http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-sweetness-of-roses-and-friendship.html

An apricot and gold selection...

http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-sweetness-of-roses-and-friendship.html

First Love...

http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-sweetness-of-roses-and-friendship.html

David Austin's Windermere in my favourite vase...

http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-sweetness-of-roses-and-friendship.html


http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-sweetness-of-roses-and-friendship.html



http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-sweetness-of-roses-and-friendship.html


A collection of vases from last Spring's bounty...

http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-sweetness-of-roses-and-friendship.html

Come on Spring, I can't wait to see my garden blooming. My rose-pruning is finished and I've started mulching. 

I'm joining Wen's Simply Neutrals Tuesday Party # 47. Join us over at her blog AppleApricot for a gathering celebrating life's neutral colours...



Sending love,



17 comments:

  1. A happy hello to you! I am popping in from Wen's Neutral party and oh, what a feast for my eyes. Your images are simply lovely and ever so romantic.

    I am delighted to say that I am now following along and I look forward to visiting again. Hugs! Stephanie-The Enchanting Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, Thanks for joining Simply Neutral Tuesday, and I look forward to visiting your blog too :)
      Jesse XX

      Delete
  2. Hello to you Jesse,
    I must choose the William Morris as my fave from your amazing 'collection' <3 I simply love them.
    You are so blessed to be surrounded by so many 'beauties' all spring and summer. What a special
    treat to look forward to each year! Wishing you a wonderful day~ karen o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, Lovely to hear from you. Would you believe that I had to cut some roses off when i pruned them just a couple of weeks ago? In mid Winter! Windermere was one of them, and John F Kennedy (white), and some dark pink ones. So I am rose-free until they grow again for Spring - they are bursting into bud already! Love and hugs to you,
      Jesse XX

      Delete
    2. p.s. I have a whole post dedicated to the William Morris rose coming soon - I agree, it is the most perfect rose!

      Delete
  3. Wow.. simply AMAZING Jesse! Really gorgous! Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susi, I'm glad you enjoyed these roses.
      Hugs,
      Jesse

      Delete
  4. beautiful photos of your roses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gorgeous post! Your words about friends are so true. I have three woman friends with whom I went from grade school to graduation and those friendships are so precious to me. We are all in our seventies now and so enjoy being together. We manage it two or three times a year for a weekend or a day or two. When you reach our age one of the things about still being friends is that we all remember when each other was young and the things that we have gone through throughout our lives. When you get older so many of the people who "knew you when" are gone, especially parents. So those who are left are few and especially treasured.

    The roses are beautiful and I am envious! I have been trying to grow roses for years and have had very little luck. Something eats the leaves until they are full of holes, I get one bloom at most per season from each bush--only three at the moment--and that is all. I don't know if I haven't purchased good roses or if I am just destined to not be a rose grower. I water, I feed, I prune, but still, failure! Perhaps I should give it up and be happy with petunias! They do pretty well for me! Anyway, thanks for sharing your gorgeous blooms with us, Jesse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naomi, Thanks for adding your special words to my post - how lucky you are to have childhood friends. I have moved house so many times I have no childhood friends. These friends must feel like real family. How wonderful!

      I wonder what's eating your roses - there must be some chemical that could help combat them. Can you find any evidence of insects? Or possums? My roses were eaten by wallabies until we built a fence. Don't give up yet!

      Petunias are gorgeous too - such a riot of colours. I have a few because they bloom for so long, and are dry tolerant in Summer. Have a wonderful week, Naomi. Hugs,
      Jesse XX

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely place you have here!
    I'm happily following along with you~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, Welcome! Thank you for joining me.
      Jesse

      Delete
  7. Jesse you have some of the most beautiful rose pictures I have ever seen. I so love the David Austin roses and that is what we used to collect and grow at Millingandi. I try not to think about that garden too much and try to think of the beauty which surrounds us here on the magnificent lake and bird life but the roses are so close in my heart. Just as the treasured friends I grew up with. I am so very fortunate to have some still and we communicate a few times a year and three of us will be reconnecting in Victoria next year at Castlemaine as they live in Adelaide where I grew up so we will meet up half way which will be such a special reunion!
    You are a lovely more recent friend also. Thanks for putting all of this beauty together in such a beautiful post for us all to view.
    Blessings and love to you,
    Suzy xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzy, I always love reading your comments. Your Millingandi garden certainly was spectacular, and I'm sure you would miss it, and your beautiful sheep. But your new place is very lovely too. Perhaps you can plant a couple of David Austin roses out the front somewhere? How wonderful that you will meet up with your old friends soon. I'm sure your trip will be fun, op shopping along the way.
      Love and hugs, and a happy Spring to you!
      Jesse XXX

      Delete
  8. Hello sweetie, your roses are STUNNING!!! I wouldn't know which one to choose, they're all so gorgeous! Beautiful thoughts on friendship too, dear Jesse, thank you for sharing :) Sending you big hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wen, Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed my pictures. I had fun choosing them from the millions I have taken! I managed to plant a couple of new ones by clearing out some old bedraggled plants and renewing the soil with compost. I look forward to seeing them bloom soon. It's so lovely to know you're back on your blog, too. I will catch up there too.
      Love and hugs, Jesse XXX

      Delete

Thank you so much for your friendly comments. It makes my day to hear from you about my artworks and topics.