Saturday 6 April 2019

Up-cycled Coat Hangers for Vintage Clothes Tutorial

Dear friends,

Do you have some special vintage clothes you'd like to display to enjoy them? Perhaps a vintage baby dress, or a wedding dress to bring out of the cupboard?

I decided to play with some trims and doilies to decorate some plain coat hangers so they could add an old-world feel to vintage baby dresses and clothes I want to photograph and display. This ivory satin baby hanger was an op shop find.

https://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2019/04/up-cycled-coat-hangers-for-vintage.html

I chose a small doily which had a minor stain (part of the vintage look). It had an open weave, so I folded it to work out the half-way point, then mounted it over the hook.

https://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2019/04/up-cycled-coat-hangers-for-vintage.html

I snipped off a a piece of another doily and a short lace motif from a roll of recycled lace I collected from an old garment. The centre hole was just large enough to thread over the hook. You can experiment with wrapping a piece around and securing it with some small hand stitches.

https://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2019/04/up-cycled-coat-hangers-for-vintage.html

A length of cream satin ribbon can be draped around the hanger - enough to tie a bow plus a little extra, about 40-50cm. You can trim it at the end.

https://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2019/04/up-cycled-coat-hangers-for-vintage.html

Fold the ribbon around the hanger from front to back, and tie a bow at the front of the base of the hook.

https://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2019/04/up-cycled-coat-hangers-for-vintage.html

The finished hanger - mine needed no sewing as it stayed nicely in place.

https://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2019/04/up-cycled-coat-hangers-for-vintage.html

Here it is with a vintage baby's slip which I embroidered with a bow and some grub roses.

https://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2019/04/up-cycled-coat-hangers-for-vintage.html

https://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2019/04/up-cycled-coat-hangers-for-vintage.html

Here are a few more ideas... a satin button as the centre of the flower motif. I hand-stitched each end so the doily wouldn't slip off.

https://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2019/04/up-cycled-coat-hangers-for-vintage.html

Starting with a padded hanger makes it a quick and easy project with great vintage style. Here I've added some pearl beads, an ear-ring and a velvet rose as accents.

https://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2019/04/up-cycled-coat-hangers-for-vintage.html

These apricot shades are my favourites...

https://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2019/04/up-cycled-coat-hangers-for-vintage.html


https://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2019/04/up-cycled-coat-hangers-for-vintage.html


https://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2019/04/up-cycled-coat-hangers-for-vintage.html


https://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com/2019/04/up-cycled-coat-hangers-for-vintage.html

I'm joining Wen for Simply Neutrals # 55 over at her blog, AppleApricot. Come and join us for a feast of neutral beauty.


15 comments:

  1. Oh they are so beautiful Jesse, I love them all with the vintage look they have from laces and other lovely finds.
    The embroidered baby slip is adorable.
    Not easy to find padded hangers , here, so need to make them myself, if I want to try my hand on this .
    A lovely weekend to you , my dear. <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorthe. So nice to hear from you. i'm glad my computer was fixed in time for Simply Neutrals! I've missed visiting blogs for a month. Wishing you a happy week.
      Hugs,
      Jesse XX

      Delete
  2. Hi Jesse,
    Your hangers are all beautiful. What a pretty way to decorate padded hangers. I have a few of those around and would like to try this. I also like the apricot shades. Thank you for the creative idea and for sharing your talents. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Tamara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tamara. It's such a simple way to recycle old doilies and bits of lace and ribbon. It didn't take long to do, either. Enjoy your week.
      Hugs,
      Jesse XX

      Delete
  3. Jesse OMW, Get Out! These are sensational! Gorgeous and inspiring in every way. Can't say enough~ : ) Love each vintage-beautiful hanger you created! They are unique, amazing, and what a wonderful way to use some of my doilies that are just sitting in boxes right now.
    & Thank you for sharing with SNT's as well. I will miss this party for sure, but Wen needs a break, I totally get that. Glad she is doing whats best for her.
    I have been wanting to contact you and see what is happening; would love to hear from you friend.
    Thunks for your visits and encouragement! Hugs, karen o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, Thanks for visiting via SNT. I will catch up soon. You might enjoy doing this little project as it's so easy to get great results with very little effort. I bet you have a nice stash of laces to use :)
      Sending hugs,
      Jesse XX

      Delete
  4. Jesse these are so beautiful, isn't it amazing how calming lace and crochet can be just by simply looking at it. A fabulous tutorial, how I would have loved to have created these for my Daughter when she was a youngster.
    I am fairly new to Wen's Simply Neutrals but I found it such a peaceful place. I hope I can still keep watch and blog contact with those who have cared to share. It has always been a source of inspiration.
    Take care, Creative wishes Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracey, I do hope we all keep up with each other's blogs too. I certainly will try to visit. I've so enjoyed your blog, too. It's inspiring to peek into other's lives and craft rooms and see what they enjoy doing. Hope to catch up soon,
      Jesse XX

      Delete
  5. These are so pretty - what a wonderful way to use those amazing vintage lace pieces, to make them serve a purpose both practical and decorative. The padded hangers are just beautiful.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment, Alison. I like recycling! This was an easy project and quite rewarding.
      Cheers,
      Jesse X

      Delete
  6. Oh, and if you want to try something crackled, I would suggest the DecoArt Media Crackle Paint as a good starting point, or for a two-layer weathered look, those DecoArt Chalky Finish acrylics and the Crackle Glaze made to go with them. Neither of those crackle options has ever failed me so far!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that tip, Alison, I'll look for those products. I've tried Jo Sonja's crackle medium but it didn't work for me. Your neutral paint pot colours looked so inviting! Enjoy your new season...Autumn for me.
      Jesse X

      Delete
  7. Hello dearest Jesse, your hangers are so very gorgeous and sweet! Thank you so much for generously sharing with us how you made them! I especially love the green one with the flowers on the fabric and the sweet little bow in a matching colour. So gorgeous.
    Wishing you a beautiful day and sending you big hugs and love, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wen, that one is a favourite of mine, too. I haven't done much creating lately, and needed something I could complete quite quickly.
      Hugs to you too.
      Jesse XX

      Delete

Thank you so much for your friendly comments. It makes my day to hear from you about my artworks and topics.