Wednesday 14 February 2018

Summer Alpine Walk Among Wildflowers

Hello Friends,

This is Part 2 of my walk in the Snowy Mountains. You can find Part 1 here.

Last week ( 6-9 February) I set off with two of my dear women friends for a camping and bushwalking adventure without children, something I have not done for about 25 years. I left behind the roles of mother/partner and was just myself for a few days.

Our base camp was at Thredbo Diggings, a wonderfully natural campground in the Snowy Mountains National Park, right on the Thredbo River. Being mid-Summer, the weather was mild enough to sleep under the stars (but we were prepared for anything, even snow!). The following days we would be up on top of the ridge we could see above the river (in the picture below), above the tree-line.





We collected dead wood (from outside the National park) for our campfire, and set up tents with a great view of the river. I slept under the stars and was kept awake by a marauding possum sorting noisily through our pots and pans looking for food. I wondered if he'd have the audacity to climb into my sleeping bag with me, as he'd come right up to sit at our camp table to help himself to our food as we ate our dinner!





A great river for a quick cold dip after a long hot walk...






A dragon fly...




A crow's nest...




Sitting in a snow gum...



The start of our trail...



Almost above the tree-line...




Mt Kosciuszko is at the far left. It doesn't look much higher than the surrounding mountains, because it's further away in these pictures.





I love the wide expanse of open sky... the clouds change all the time in the wind.



Granite rock sculptures covered in lichen...




A funnel web spider hole... no fingers down there thanks!




Rivers begin here at the top...




My favourite flowers - the blue bells. These are the biggest I've seen anywhere.













The flower below is one I thought of as an anemone, but I 
found out it is Muellers Snow Gentian (Chionogentias muelleriana).




What a beautiful bridal bouqet this would make!!!








I love the herbal smell as we tread through the alpine plants, (never stepping on flowers, of course!). Such a fresh and unique scent - though I feel guilty treading even on the grasses, but they are so hardy.




Looking up to the top of Mt Kosciuszko, you can hardly make out a few dots of people on top.




I love the papery everlasting daisies...




A hollowed-out granite bowl...




Paper daisies in drifts at the foot of Mt Kosciuszko...













Some yellow daisies too...



So windy up here on the highest point of Australia -Mt Kosciuszko!!!



We walked 35 kilometres in two days. I was a bit sore afterwards, but it was worth it!









Old worn fence posts from the days when cattle were brought up to the high country to graze before the National Park protected it...




A few fresh  snow daisies...


Looking back over the start of our walk...


 The friendly duck at our base camp...



Driving home up the coast for 4 hours, a rainbow graced the sky...


Thanks Annie and Mini for a great walking trip!



Thank you, friends, for joining me on my journey...





Hugs,
Jesse XXX










6 comments:

  1. Oh wow oh wow, it is so beautiful out there!! What a wonderful hike you had Jesse, you look so happy! And your photos are stunning, really beautiful. Thank you for taking us along with you :) Wishing you a sweet day, Jesse dear, and sending you big hugs and love, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wen. If you visit Australia you'll have to try to make it there in Summer.
      Have a good week, I am away again till next Tuesday (work this time!) Hugs,
      Jesse XXX

      Delete
  2. Oh Jesse, such wonderful photos of both you, and the amazing landscape , must have been so special hiking so long in - was it -two days, wow- you are strong women ,all.It must have been a fantastic tour with your loved friends, without thinking of husband and children -Thank you for showing all those gorgeous photos, of that exeptionel tour , Jesse.
    Warm hugs from Dorthe, XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Wen, i'm so glad you could see it too :)
    love,
    Jesse XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jesse for your words and photos. I hope you are doing well!!! This trip is definitely one of my favorite and unforgettable experience throughout the year (and my life as well)!! The nature, the environment and the friendship... thank you for making the trip so gorgeous!
    Lots of love,
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you Minnie! I hope you are settling back in at home and life is treating you well.
      Much Love,
      Jesse XX

      Delete

Thank you so much for your friendly comments. It makes my day to hear from you about my artworks and topics.